This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

Chapter names not shown on screen

Apr 16, 2013 at 9:55 AM
Thank you for creating such a nice tool to be able to add chapters to a MP4 file.

However I've come across something weird when importing titles from a text file.

When I use the format "00:00:00 SomeTitle" then the word SomeTitle gets shown in the video but the first three characters will be chopped off from the timeline.

When I use the format "00:00:00.123 SomeTitle" then SomeTitle is NOT shown in the video but will be corrected displayed on the timeline.

Can you look into this? Thanks in advance!
Coordinator
Apr 17, 2013 at 9:48 AM
Please only use the following format when importing chapters: 01:30:15.123 My Chapter

What do you mean regarding "not shown in the video" but "shown in the timeline"? Which media player do you use (e.g., VLC, iTunes)?
Nov 21, 2013 at 8:22 PM
Sorry for my very late reply. I didnt see your response or email notification.

When I use the format as you stated 01:30:15.123 My Chapter then in VLC the chapter title is shown in the timeline
but not in the videoscreen when a new chapter starts.

However I learned that when I use this:

01:30:15 My Chapter

then "My Chapter" is shown in the timeline and in the videoscreen.

If I leave out the spaces than the front of the chapter name is shortened by 4 characters. When I put about 5 spaces between
the time and "My Chapter" then the chapter title is shown correctly.
Coordinator
Nov 22, 2013 at 5:30 PM
Maybe VLC does not show the chapter in the video screen if the frame number (the last three numbers) is not .000. So, please try the following format:

01:30:15.000 My Chapter

Does that help?
Nov 27, 2013 at 2:00 PM
Yes that works but then I get the numbers "000" in front of the chapter title.

Not something that is "beautiful" but it works....

2013/11/22 DrZoidberg <[email removed]>

Maybe VLC does not show the chapter in the video screen if the frame number (the last three numbers) is not .000. So, please try the following format:

Does that help?

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email ([email removed])

To start a new discussion for this project, email [email removed]

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on CodePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at CodePlex.com

Coordinator
Dec 3, 2013 at 11:19 AM
I guess I figured out what is going on here:
  • You may have a movie file, say test.mp4, and a chapter file, say test.txt.
  • In the chapter file you may use the following (invalid) format: "01:30:15 My Chapter". That is, the first characters of the chapter title are chopped, and thus, not shown in the timeline.
  • However, if you play the movie file, the chapter title is correctly shown in the video, but not in the timeline.
  • The reason is that the chapter format of VLC and mp4v2 (incorporated by Drax) are incompatible:
In particular, VLC shows in the timeline the chapters from Drax. However, VLC shows in the video the chapters from an external file that has the same name as the movie file. In this case test.txt, since you play the movie file test.mp4.

That is, Drax expects the format (for the timeline)

and VLC expects the format (for the video)

BTW: If you don't have an external file, e.g., test.txt, chapters are shown in the timeline (but not in the video).

BTW2: In order to be mp4v2-compliant, Drax has to insist of the format defined above.
Dec 5, 2013 at 3:02 PM
Hi DrZoidberg,

This clarifies why the subtitles work as they do with Drax and VLC. I did not know that VLC reads the txt file to show the chapter names.

I have found a workaround with importing chapter names that works with Drax and VLC. I wished that I knew this earlier :-P

Thanks for the help!

2013/12/3 DrZoidberg <[email removed]>

I guess I figured out what is going on here:
  • You may have a movie file, say test.mp4, and a chapter file, say test.txt.
  • In the chapter file you may use the following (invalid) format: "01:30:15 My Chapter". That is, the first characters of the chapter title are chopped, and thus, not shown in the timeline.
  • However, if you play the movie file, the chapter title is correctly shown in the video, but not in the timeline.
  • The reason is that the chapter format of VLC and mp4v2 (incorporated by Drax) are incompatible:
In particular, VLC shows in the timeline the chapters from Drax. However, VLC shows in the video the chapters from an external file that has the same name as the movie file. In this case test.txt, since you play the movie file test.mp4.

That is, Drax expects the format (for the timeline)

and VLC expects the format (for the video)

BTW: If you don't have an external file, e.g., test.txt, chapters are shown in the timeline (but not in the video).

BTW2: In order to be mp4v2-compliant, Drax has to insist of the format defined above.

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email ([email removed])

To start a new discussion for this project, email [email removed]

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on CodePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at CodePlex.com